Habanos Blog: Cuban Cigars, Plain and Simple

Habanos Cigar Blog - The authority on Cuban Cigars. Dedicated to spreading One Man's passion and knowledge for Cuban Cigars and the good life.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Matching Drinks and Cigars

Don't forget about your liver!

I thought I would post a few ideas about matching drinks and cigars. It's a great topic, albeit a tricky one. I say this because eveyone likes different cigars and different drinks.

I guess there are some basic rules. And I stress, they are simple, but that's how I think it should be

#1 - Drink and Smoke something you enjoy. If you combine a fine cognac with a cigar you don't like, the only thing you will accomplish is ruining your enjoyment of the cognac. And if you don't like bourbon, it is unlikely that any cigar will change your mind.

#2 - Relax. If you are smoking during a golf game you might as well drink Kool-Aid with your Cohiba. A good cigar and a nice drink are only meaningful if you get the opportunity to appreciate them. Sand traps are no place for savouring anything.

#3 - Try to match the weight of the drink to the weight of the cigar. This is generally a good methodology; you want to taste both the drink and cigar, not the strongest of the two. Most cubans require at least hard liquor. Put the red wine away (unless you really know what you are doing! - as per the next 'tip')

#4 - Experiment. I don't know who the first person to try eating fattened duck liver was, but if he never did it'd be my loss. I had a guy come in to my shop and tell me that Zino Mouton Cadet No.3's are sublime with Vueve Clicquot. My point is that some of the best pairings make no sense at all, and can be just amazing.

#5 - Completely ignore me. The most important thing is that you enjoy yourself. Don't do anything for anyone but you. If you like red wine with cigars, drink it with every smoke.

Cheers,
Adam

1 Comments:

  • At 9:12 p.m., Blogger visualbonzai said…

    Adam,

    My preference is scotch. Seems to add to a cigar, it's a matching texture. (for me). Secondly, you're exactly right about not listening to anyone else. Whatever you enjoy is right for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home