Habanos Blog: Cuban Cigars, Plain and Simple

Habanos Cigar Blog - The authority on Cuban Cigars. Dedicated to spreading One Man's passion and knowledge for Cuban Cigars and the good life.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cigar Shop in Amsterdam - PJC Hajenius





I biked up Rokin to find this store, unfortunately I drove way by it the first time, up to Dam square, because there was a delivery truck out front. Just for reference, don’t bike on the side of the road that PJC Hajenius is on, as old ladies with whistles get mad at you.

The shop is gorgeous, I felt like I was buying a $4000 watch, not a cigar. Nothing in Vancouver, or Canada, comes close to the elegance of this fine place. I spent a bit of time browsing, trying not to feel like a complete tourist, and then asked to be let into the humidor; most cigars are kept behind a locked automatic sliding glass double door ( I want one). They had a nice selection of Cubans. I must say, for self and loyal employer preservation that ours is better, but this was great. I found the Bolivar Petit Corona that I wanted to try, they also had a complete selection of Partagas and most Cohibas. In addition to the Bolivar, I bought a Punch Punch. The Cuban Punch marca is not available in Canada for trademark reasons, so I had to try it. Besides, the 9,20 Euro price was great. The prices here are close to 50% or 60% of those in Canada, and I blame taxes for every cent of it.



I also purchased a package of the house brand cigarillos, ‘Senoritas’. As I write this I am smoking one with a Leffe Brune, on the patio of the bar next to my hotel. The only complaint I have is Vancouver like weather – yesterday was real hot though. The cigar is rich and smokes well, but my brain is not working enough to offer more than that.




To call PJC Hajenius simply a ‘cigar shop’ is not justified by the least of measures. They have an immense selection of pipes, humidors, accessories, a lounge with tables and coffee, a small museum on the upper level and a private meeting room. The museum has the largest selection of cigar books that I have ever seen in one place, and a number of informational displays and memorabilia. The meeting room, “De Heerenkamer”, is the perfect place for cigar smoking friends or colleagues to spend some time together. The variance of tobacco products in this place is simply astounding, and I have seen few like it (the Tampa Bay area comes to mind).

All in all, PJC Hajenius comes highly recommended, by myself and many others. Just do an internet search to find out more. While the Cuban selection was not enormous, it was adequate, and the rest of the store’s substance more than made up for what little disappointment that brought. Quite simply, this is a place for someone who loves cigars, and if you visit Amsterdam you must come here.

PS – I believe I will follow this with a Punch Punch review when I smoke it. If not a review than just thoughts, but it will be my first so I feel I should - Provided of course that I am able to prevent myself from lighting it up while drunk as a sailor.